Monday, March 10, 2008

A Winning Garden

I think I promised you some extraordinary things about Bahrain, and today is a wonderful example. I was invited to visit one of the Garden Show winning gardens this morning. My friend Thoraya gave me the invitation, but then at the last minute she could not attend. She gave me the name of a Swedish lady, Justine, who would be attending, and we connected by phone the night before. Neither one of us had a map of how to get to the house. We only knew the general area of the house. While I was driving around trying to find a big house with lots of cars in front of it, I spotted a car with two ladies in it, pointing this way and that. I followed them, thinking they might be going to the Garden Party. Then I dialed Justine on the my Mobile and it turned out it she was in the car ahead of me! Two cars pulled up along side of us, and one of the drivers said she knew how to get to the house. We all followed that car and got there.
Upon arrival, ( it was just around the next corner) we were greeted with the gracious Bahraini hospitality, introductions, and offer of juice. First, I had a walk around the garden with one of the ladies, who showed me the "tobacco plant" which is in flower, and a couple of unusual fruit trees. I sampled the fruit later when we sat and had tea. It is like a small apple/pear. Very tasty. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Justine, and her friend, Frieda. I met several new ladies, and saw a few of the ladies that I remember from when I was a member of the Garden Club. Enjoy the video. And more photos tomorrow!

We have all been invited to another garden on Sunday afternoon. Can't wait!

No comments: