Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mah Jongg

g
There is a flourishing group of Mah Jongg players in Bahrain! I was invited to play with them this morning. There were nine of us, so we had three tables going. I appreciate their patience with me, as I am rusty from not playing for several months. Plus, they play a very different version (International) . No jokers! No hands with flowers in them. If you have a flower in your hand, you may pick up an additional tile from the end of the wall. The hands that the players have to choose from are different, as well. In stead of doing the Charleston in the beginning, they start right off with the tiles you are dealt. If at the end of picking from all four walls, no one has Mahjed, then the four jokers are brought in, and they play a Gulag hand, where they exchange (without revealing) tiles. Wow. A lot for this old mind to learn.

I enjoyed meeting all the ladies. I need to learn the new language..."wishing & fishing" is called out, when you are looking for only two more tiles to make your Mahj, and "fishing" when you are looking for your last tile to Mahj. Did I get that right? So, till our next "twittering".....mixing the tiles, I'll be looking forward to playing again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you've found a good group of players so you won't get rusty on the game -- even if terms and rules are so different from what you taught us.